In Key Stage 3 students receive 1 period of Music each week taught in a mixed ability groups. During their Music lessons, students will develop practical skills in listening, composing and performing using a range of resources including keyboard, voice and percussion. Practical activities include individual, group and whole-class performances within the following topics:
- Musical Elements
- Pitch and Graphic Notation
- Instruments of the Orchestra
- Rhythm and Pulse
- Latin American Music
- World Music
- Music and the Media
- 19th and 20th Century Composing Styles
- Musical Theatre
- Popular Music Styles and the Blues
- Personal Projects
Music is an option at Key Stage 4. If students choose to continue their musical studies, they receive 3 periods of Music each week taught in a mixed ability group and follow the EDUQAS Music GCSE course. During the course students develop their practical skills in performance, composition and listening and analysis.
The areas of study for the GCSE course are Rhythm and Metre, Harmony and Tonality, Texture and Melody, Timbre and Dynamics and Structure and Form. These are explored through three Strands: Western Classical Music, Popular Music of the 20th and 21st centuries and World Music.
At Key Stage 5, students can choose to study Music at Level 3. Currently at Coppice, A Level (EDUQAS Specification) is available. Students have 6 timetabled lessons per week.
Throughout their life at Coppice students have the opportunity to learn at least one musical instrument and we have 5 peripatetic staff teaching performance skills on Strings, Woodwind, Brass, Piano and Voice. These lessons last approximately 20 minutes and take place on the same day each week.
We have a thriving extra-curricular schedule including instrumental and vocal ensembles. All the ensembles perform at a Christmas and Summer Concert each year and have the opportunity to attend a weekend residential at Ingestre Hall in the summer term. The ensembles currently running are:
|ORCHESTRA||MONDAY LUNCHTIME (12:50-1.30pm)|
|JUNIOR CHOIR||TUESDAY LUNCHTIME (12:50pm-1.30pm)|
|SCHOOL MUSICAL||TUESDAY AFTER SCHOOL (3:10-4:30pm)
WEDNESDAY AFTER SCHOOL (3:10-4:30pm)
|SENIOR VOCAL GROUP||FRIDAY LUNCHTIME (12:50-1.30pm)|
|BELLA A CAPELLA||THURSDAY LUNCHTIME (12:50-1:30pm)|
- Peripatetic music tuition offered in voice, piano, upper strings, woodwind, brass
- Music room with keyboard suite and interactive whiteboard
- 5 practice rooms & Music Studio
- Second music classroom with MAC computers with specific Music software
- 2017: High School Musical
- 2016: Whistle Down the Wind
- 2015: Little Shop of Horrors – The Musical
- 2014: Oliver – The Musical
- 2013: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
- 2012: Our House (performed at The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton)
- 2011: Our House - The Madness Musical
- 2010: Footloose - The Musical
- 2009: Fame - The Musical
- 2008: Schools Will Rock You (performed at The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton)
- 2007: Jesus Christ Superstar
- 2006: Les Misérables School Edition (performed at The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton)
- 2005: Grease
Upcoming & Recent Community Music Projects
- 27th January 2017 – Lunchtime Concert at Wolverhampton's Art Gallery
- 16th December 2016 – Christmas Concert at 'St Thomas' Church, Wednesfield
- November 2016 – Ensemble Performance Workshops and performances Wolverhampton's New Hampton Centre (Year 10 GCSE students)
- 6th March 2016 - Performance of Mahler's 8th Symphony with Birmingham Philharmonic Orchestra at Birmingham Symphony Hall.
- Feb – Mar 2016 - Song Writing Workshops/Recording Session with Rock School Ltd. At Wolverhampton's New Hampton Arts Centre
- 17th December 2015 – Christmas Concert at St. Thomas' Church, Wednesfield.
- Nov – Dec 2015 - Ensemble Performance Workshops and Performance at Wolverhampton's New Hampton Arts Centre (Year 10 GCSE students)
- November 2015 – Performance of 'The Armed Man' at St. John's Church, Wolverhampton.